Christians are the Worst (Sometimes)

"By thisall people will know that you are my disciples, if you love for one another." John 13:35

What was the Apostle John talking about here? If you read the entire passage, page, chapter, it is shockingly easy to understand. John was talking about how important it is for Christians to love everyone. He states that "all people" will know you are a Christian by how well you do this, how well you love others. "All people" is essential phrasing, referring to literally everyone, Christians, Jews, and non-believers. We can easily apply that today to people of all races, religions, atheists, and people of varying cultures and sub-cultures. It means people who dress differently than you, members of the LBGQT community, and yes, even Yankees fans (joking, but not really). Finally, what about that word love? I mean, I love tacos but not like I love my wife. I love Andy's Frozen Custard, but not like I love my kids. So, how can we show love? There are the 5 Love Languages, developed by Dr. Gary Chapman: words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, giving time, and physical touch. Those certainly apply to spouses and family members. But let's take this a step further, how can we show love to strangers? Spiritual, but non-Christian author Miguel Angel Ruiz states that "respect is one of the greatest expressions of love." If you don't like that quote, feel free to use The Google, because there are hundreds of quotes about love and respect being intertwined. Let us agree that the vast majority of Christians and non-believers, both value and appreciate love and respect. Trust me on this, or spend time researching like I have, you will come to the same conclusion, they do. Love. Respect. Both good things to strive to show, yes?

John wrote that Christians, above all other people should be recognized as showing love to all others. We must be setting the standard for loving all and respecting all. Hopefully you follow me, the logic and the standard John is setting for us. There is a major problem, however, facing Christians today. It doesn't come from a political party, or a musical artist or some extraneous source, the single biggest problem facing Christians today (as I see it), is us.

Christians are the worst, sometimes. Actually, it seems like most of the time the largest group of people disappointing me lately is the Christian group. Full disclosure, I am in this group. I call myself a Christian, and not because I want a discount at Chick-fil-A. It's because I love Christ. I believe in His teachings and want to help make the world a better place. I want to also fully state that I am not perfect. I know. Let that sink in, but I have so many faults and make so many mistakes that I cannot, in good conscious, complain about a group of people without fully stating that I make some of the many mistakes that I am about to highlight. I don't want to, but most of the time the human in me outweighs the Jesus in me. I can't help it. And God knows this, loves me, and has redeemed me, anyway. He has also done this for all people. He loves them and has redeemed them, those who recognize Him and accept that redemption. I say the word disappointing, because it's true. I don't feel disappointed when someone who doesn't love Christ, acts as if he or she, doesn't have the love of Christ in their hearts. What am I to expect? However, those walking around professing their love of Jesus, putting fish symbols on their cars, writing scriptures on their social media messages with one hand, while the other professes hate, condemnation, and judgement... those people's actions with the other hand are disappointing. They do more damage than a non-believer walking around doing non-believing things. It is what you would expect, is not? The person who does far more damage to this already broken world is the one who loudly speaks of their love of Christ, and also points the finger at everyone else's sin. There is a Bible verse about how Christians often times get caught highlighting the splinter in their brother's eye, yet fail to pull the plank out of their own (Matthew 7:3). You see? Christians shouldn't condemn or judge others, they should love others. They should focus on their sin, that which separates them from God. It is not their job to point out what is separating others, only caution against it. We were never called to be judges or condemners, only called to love

However, pay attention to everything around you. Pay attention to your family's social media posts. Your friend's messages. Pay attention to the conversations you are having in the backyard while grilling burgers with neighbors and family. What are you speaking of? What are you sharing? What is your message? Is it one of love and respect, or one of judgement and condemnation? Recently I shared a meme that said "The Bible tells us to stand in solidarity with those who grieve. This involves listening to understand. It doesn't mean 'mourn if you agree' and certainly doesn't involve policing the ways mourning and grief are expressed. 'Mourn with those who mourn' doesn't come with qualifiers." I felt conviction from reading this. It is something I think I failed at, miserably, numerous times when I was younger. I imagine I still fail, now. But I am trying to be better. Of course, after I shared it, a response was given about how we shouldn't condone looting and rioting, etc. Of course we are never supposed to condone anyone breaking the law, Jesus spoke at a variety of times about abiding by and respecting the law. But I wonder how many times the person who responded to my motivational meme and inspirational message, has locked arms or listened to someone or a group of people who have been grieving? I am not calling him out, seriously, just wondering how many times that has happened. I know, personally, in the past, I for one am certainly guilty of judging others for peaceful protests even. In afterthought, how often did I stop to listen to someone to understand? How often did I grieve with them and try to make things better? I didn't. I am now, in my own ways at my own opportunities. I am not perfect and will never be, but I can certainly adjust that detail in my journey. Social media gets us into so much trouble, it really does. I saw a Bible scripture quoted on a beloved family member's page, Proverbs 18:21, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits." To me, I would say this scripture cautions us all, especially Christians, to watch our mouths as my mother used to say. The problem I have is that this exact same family member's social media page contains countless examples speaking ill of a political party, making fun of or judging members of the LBGQT community. Why? How can they do this? Because Christians are the worst, sometimes. I am desperately trying hard not to judge this family member for these posts, because if I do am I not falling into the same trap I am trying to warn others against? However, I can recognize that the messages shared create a sad reality, and a confusing one as well. Jesus calls us to love others, no matter what. After the love of our creator, loving our neighbors is the single most important call to action we have as Christians. Guess what? Your neighbors are black, white, Asian, members of the LBGQT community, atheists, people of other religions, people who prefer Adidas to your preference of Nike, and many more. 

Recently I was honored to speak with Katharine Hayhoe for our podcast. She is an atmospheric scientist who studies climate change. Before many Christians, or members of a certain political party check out now, wait, she is also an evangelical Christian. Her parents were missionaries, she was raised in a Godly home, and she maintains a fervent love for the Lord to this day. In addition to being a scientist, she is an author, has her own PBS show, a wife and a mother, and has received many professional honors and accolades along the way. One day during the past year, I was reading Rolling Stone. I love music, don't judge me. There was this little blurb about Katharine and it shared how incredibly smart she was and freely labeled her as what she is, an Evangelical Christian. I felt incredibly motivated to learn more about her and what she has to say. We spent more than an hour throwing all sorts of questions about her relating to science, climate change, her faith, and God in general. Let me tell you, she knows her stuff. Incredibly smart. Incredibly nice (she is Canadian, maybe the stereotype is true?). And she was funny, genuine, and relatable. She lives in Texas and loves smoked meats just like I do. She was speaking of her journey with Christ, and her time as a student and scientist and she shared some interesting things that she has noticed along her journey. She kept her faith somewhat to herself, in her science-related profession and speaking engagements. I am sure you can easily infer why she did this. She was being professional and also didn't want any of her science colleague, acquaintances, and friends to judge her for also loving God. Meanwhile, the place where she felt the most comfort was her friends, family, and of course, her church- other people who share her faith and love of God, all over and not limited to her church. You can probably infer where this is going. Do you want to take a guess as to which group she receives the most hatred, judgement, and condemnation from? It isn't her science colleagues who may or may not also be Christians. It isn't those who love data and numbers and find it difficult to believe in the supernatural existence of a God who created all things. Sadly, no. The vast majority of hate mail that she receives, including death threats, is from Christians. Christians. Let that sink in. People who are supposed to be ambassadors for love and respect, recognized for it, are the largest group sending Katharine such hatred. Christians are the worst, sometimes

I want us to be better. I want Christians to be known around the world for their love, respect, and generosity. But it is essential to realize that it starts with me. I should not be concerned with the specks of dust or the splinter in someone else's eyes. Sin. I need only to concern myself with the plank in my own, my sin. I don't want to be a part of the problem, spread confusion, cast judgement, or condemn. There is only one judge, the Bible says so. I want to be a part of a group of people who are known for our love, caring, and respect. I don't want to be known for being a part of a group famous for being hypocrites, bigots, threateners of death...Christians don't have to be the worst, ever. We can excel at love, coming alongside our neighbors to provide Godly love in an ungodly world, living generously, and respecting those who are different than us. Jesus did it. He surrounded himself with people from all walks of life. They found their way. It all starts with me. And you. 

Tracy, from We Used to be Friends


Comments

  1. Christians wonder why people see them as hypocrites while they worship an omnipotent god that loves us all unconditionally, but isn't afraid to perpetually torture people when the mood strikes him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I see Christians as hypocrites often. We so badly want "everyone" to sin less and less and everything, but while doing so, judge others and committ our own sins so often. Everyone else's dirty laundry is so much worse, than ours. I don't think God perpetually tortures anyone. The tortuous events, acts, circumstances occur because of a broken world full of humans, inadvertently in most cases but purposefully in some, committing them. In my humble opinion!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Beginning...

Conflict (Growth)